Wednesday 27 June 2012

More Teething Problems For Menshn

By now I'm sure you've all heard of new social network Menshn, founded by Conservative MP Louise Mensch, as a sort of alternative to Twitter, except with many more security flaws.  Twitter user Syn0nymph has been uncovering a number of issues with the site, and has just uncovered a fresh set of issues:
Last night I flagged issues with Menshn not having email validation as I was able to register for an account using someone else's email address and by just making up a dummy email address. I am pleased to see that this issue has now been fixed.

However, I felt the process had to be tested and so I again set up an account using a dummy, non-existent email address and as expected got a screen up on Menshn telling me that I needed to validate my email address by clicking on the link which had been sent to me before I could use the site and it's features etc.

Now, as I had made the email address up, I was never going to get a link to click was I? So I assumed that I would not be able to use any Menshn features at all until I had validated the email address. I was wrong and I could. I could not get into any of the topic rooms to post anything which is good but I was able to do all of the following:

1.Use the User Search facility
2.Subscribe to other Menshners
3.Send a Menshner a DM
4.Mute a Menshner
5.See who another Menshner's subscribers were
6.Invite my friends to join via entering their email addresses

Guess Mr Bozier still has some work to do...
So it seems that Menshn still has quite a while to go before it's a fully functioning site, something that should have really been resolved before the site was released in the UK, especially as the past security issues may have left it's users vulnerable to malicious attacks.

You can contact the author on Twitter @brown_moses or by email at brownmoses@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment